Barrister: Riz Ashiq
Year of Call: 2001Practice Groups:
- Inquest and Public Inquiries
Areas of Practice:
Riz Ashiq specialises in Criminal and Civil cases. He has been instructed on cases ranging from drug importation and rape to high profile murder and terrorist cases. He has appeared in the Court of Appeal on numerous occasions. He has extensive experience in historical sexual abuse/rape cases as well as large and complex fraud cases. He is also a specialist in the field of search warrants and proceeds of crime especially in relation to restraint orders, cash forfeiture and confiscation orders. He has considerable expertise in using abuse of process to stop cases before they get to trial.
His civil cases range from simple county court litigation to very high complex litigation including civil fraud in the High Court. He has experience in obtaining and defending interim injunctions especially freezing injunctions. Riz has extensive experience in acting for Cash and Carrys and individuals in matters relating to HMRC seizures of Alcohol and cigarettes, WOWGR and other tax matters.
Riz Ashiq has worked with/or has been led by some of the finest Queens Counsel in the country in particular Orlando Pownall QC, Andrew Caldecott QC, Jim Sturman QC, Alun Jones QC, Andrew Mitchell QC, Ben Emmerson QC, Jonathan Caplan QC, Ian Macdonald QC, Geoffrey Cox QC, Geraint Jones QC, Tony Shaw QC and James Pickup QC. Please see below a sample of some of the reported cases in which Riz has been instructed.
- Windsor & Others V CPS (Restraint order Quashed).
- Hare & Others V HMRC (Search Warrants quashed and also attempt to vary a final order disallowed).
- Windsor, Hare & Others v HMRC (Search warrants quashed).
- Deol & Others v HMRC (search warrants case, Mr Ashiq appeared for 2nd,4th,5th and 6th claimants).
- R v Gojra & Others(Identification case, conviction quashed).
- R v Parradine (Aaron)  EWCA Crim 656 (Adverse inference).
- R v Avery (Richard Sean)  EWCA Crim 1830 (lurking doubt and inconsistent verdicts).